Proud Tradition Since 1920...
In 1920, George Gillies Sharp, having been Chief Surveyor of the American
Bureau of Shipping, entered the professional practice of naval architecture
and marine engineering. Successful early designs of excursion steamers
were followed by merchant ships such as the original "Four Aces" for
American Export Lines; and by the early 1930s he had earned a reputation for
a creative approach to ship design and as a pioneer in the field of fire
control of ships. In 1934, the Department of Commerce engaged his firm
to design a series of "standard types" of merchant ships (C1, C2, etc.)
which would become the prototypes of the long-range program of the Maritime
Commission, created by the Merchant Marine Act of 1936 to rebuild the
During World War II, Sharp played a prominent
role in the massive emergency ship construction program during which over
600 ships were built to Sharp's plans, including 414 "Victory" merchant
ships and numerous Naval auxiliaries including 50 CVE escort aircraft
carriers, the "Baby Flat Tops" of Pacific fame. After its
incorporation in 1951, the firm continued to turn out imaginative ship
designs, several of them being the first of their kind. All in all,
over 1,500 vessels have been constructed and over 300 ship conversions have
been completed from Sharp's designs.
Over 91 years after its founding, SHARP
remains dedicated to the professional design of economic, cost-effective
ships, ship systems and other marine structures for both commercial and
military purposes. The only significant changes in the picture have
been in the technology, types of vessels and techniques of analysis.
In all these areas, SHARP has kept or set the pace.